Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section

Hebron School c. 1906-1910

11 Jan

Hebron School

This photograph is a picture of the student of Hebron School taken in about 1906-1910. The school stood across the road from Hebron Presbyterian Church in Manakin-Sabot, Virginia. The photograph was donated to the society by Eva Briesmaster Henley who identified 5 of the people in the picture.

  1. Daisey Goodman
  2. Willis Goodman
  3. Miss Mollie Blue Johnson, teacher
  4. Willie Briesmaster
  5. Harry Briesmaster

We would love to put names to the other children in the photograph. It is always distressing to think that their shining faces will remain nameless. These are someones relatives: parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts or uncles. They need names to make sure they will never be forgotten. This is one of the jobs of that a Historical Society takes most seriously. No one should ever be forgotten.

If anyone out there can help us put names to faces, please send us a note. As they come in, we will update this picture to reflect what we have learned. Put on your thinking caps and begin sleuthing, we need lots of help on this one!

Advertisements

Saunders Photo Collection Gifted To The Goochland Historical Society

25 Oct
JaneQuinnSaunders

Jane Quinn Saunders

The Goochland Historical Society is pleased to announce the gift of a large photo collection of a prominent mid-20th century local photographer, Jane Quinn Saunders, who passed away in 2005. The gift was made by her sister, Ann Lee Saunders Brown.

 

 

“We are thrilled to add the wonderful “Photograph Collection of Jane Saunders” to our archives” stated Scott Johnson, President. Scott added “The collection is large, and will become a treasured archive in interpreting and celebrating Goochland’s great history. We can’t wait to reveal and celebrate Ms. Saunders’ images with our community.”

JaneQuinnSaunders.AnnLeeSaundersBrown

Jane Quinn Saunders and Ann Lee Saunders Brown

Jane Quinn Saunders (1916-2005), moved from her home in the Ginter Park section of Richmond to Tuckahoe Point Farm in eastern Goochland in the mid-1930’s, where she remained until her death in 2005. Jane focused on photography as a hobby, and fortunately documented and preserved the collection. Her collection spans the 2nd half of the 20th century. Her devotion to Goochland County helped shape the subject matter of her photography. She was active in the Goochland Garden Club and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, where she served as a Sunday school teacher during WWII. She loved farm life, and was active in the Virginia Cattlemen’s Association.

Upon her passing in 2005, Jane left her large photograph collection with her sister, Ann Lee Saunders Brown. Mrs. Brown donated this collection, on behalf of her sister, to the Goochland Historical Society. The collection of slides and prints was presented in 12 cases and contains over 5,000 images. A large number of images involve Virginia wild flowers, inspired by her involvement with the Garden Club of Virginia. Other significant topics of her collection include farm life, historic homes of Goochland and a mid-1950’s archive of the first major film screening conducted at Tuckahoe Plantation.

Aspenwall 4

Aspenwall – Photograph by Jane Quinn Saunders

For questions, please call the Goochland County Historical Society at 556-3966

WWI and WWII Scanning Event

19 Jul

FIELD DAY OF THE PAST AND GOOCHLAND HISTORICAL SOCIETY TEAM UP FOR WORLD WAR I AND WORLD WAR II COMMEMORATION

WWI Group

Field Day of the Past and the Goochland Historical Society are teaming up to commemorate the involvement of the United States in World War I and World War II. Both the Historical Society and Field Day will be organizing displays and exhibits remembering America’s presence in the World Wars during the annual Field Day event, scheduled for Sept. 15-19.

As part of this commemoration, Goochland Historical Society and Field Day of the Past are hosting a two-day preservation session, inviting those who have photographs from both war eras to bring their pictures to the Field Day show grounds so they can be scanned and preserved. These sessions are scheduled for Friday, August 18th from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, August 19 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Participants will retain their original copies but will need to sign permission slips for future use of the images by the non-profit organizations for educational purposes. Photographs can potentially be used in exhibits during the event as well as for any future exhibitions. There will be no charge for this service.

Participants are also invited to bring other artifacts – letters, flags, posters, clothing, military items, etc. which they may consider putting out on short term loan to either or both organizations.

The Field Day of the Past showgrounds are located at 1741 Ashland Rd. (Rt. 623). The photographic sessions will be conducted in the church on the grounds.

For more information contact the Goochland Historical Society at 804-556-3966 or email goochlandhistory@comcast.net or Field Day of the Past at 804-908-1412, email fielddayofthepast@gmail.com or visit the websites at fielddayofthepast.net and goochlandhistory.org.

Field Day

Historical Society Logo

It’s a fact: Lafayette’s Stop Remembered

30 Jun
Powells Tavern0001 adj watermark

Powell’s Tavern in the 1970’s undergoing restoration.

In 1824, the Marquis de Lafayette was on his way from Richmond to Albemarle County to see is old friend Mr. Thomas Jefferson.

Lafayette’s first stop after leaving Richmond on the River Road (same route you know today) was a lunch stop at Powell’s Tavern located near the eastern line of Goochland (opposite James River Estates). The tavern was first a single clapboard structure constructed about 1770 and still standing. Business prospered and the increase meant expansion for the tavern. A front or second structure was constructed of brick, circa 1820. A narrow passage between the two buildings allowed the carriage to let passengers out under roof – a real first class idea! The distinguished visitor enjoyed a two hour stop over with a “cold collation” served to his party.

At Goochland Courthouse a large crowd awaited his arrival with banners of welcome and a final tribute to the General who saved the young America and gave us freedom and liberty.

There were three levels of public accommodation in those days: ordinaries, taverns, and inns, the latter being the best. The ordinary provided ordinary food for the traveler and waters for horses. Taverns provided food and some bed space. Inns provided food and overnight rooms but one usually shared a room with other tourists. The next tavern up the River Road was George’s Tavern located at the junction of Cartersville Road. The River Road was a winding, steep ups and downs, mud road which followed the river to Scottsville.

(The above is from the “It’s a fact” column that the Goochland County Historical Society contributed to the The Goochland Gazette on October 15, 1987.)

Powell’s Tavern was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Tintypes

10 Jun

tintype

The above photograph of a house is in the Goochland County Historical Society collection. It is undated and unidentified but the process used to create the photograph can at least be identified. It is a tintype, a very popular form of photography that was spanned from the 1850’s to the 1930’s. The peak of popularity was the 1860’s and 1870’s. Today, it is still used to create souvenir pictures at carnivals and theme parks.

Also known as melainotype and ferrotype, tintypes are thin sheets of metal that are coated with chemicals, exposed to light and could be ready in as little as 60 seconds. As with most types of early photography, toxic chemicals were used. The “fixer” for the image on tintypes was usually potassium cyanide, a highly dangerous chemical and deadly poison.

Due to the lack of exposure time, tintypes were the most widely used form of photography of its time. The tintype was very portable and could be housed in ornamental cases, made into jewelry or simply carried around in paper sleeves. They were durable and not prone to breakage like the main competitor process, ambrotype, which is fixed on a glass plate.

Tintypes are very collectible today and the Society has a few that are very beautiful. If anyone can identify the house or its location, please let us know.

March Meeting – Jefferson’s Poplar Forest

31 Mar

 

IMG_2069

President Scott Johnson welcomes guests

On March 12, 2017, the society held its first meeting of the year at the Grace Church Parish House. President Scott Johnson welcomed the attendees after which Vice-President Bruce Venter introduced our guest speaker Jeffrey Nichols, CEO and President of Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Poplar Forest, located south of Lynchburg, was the home Thomas Jefferson built to get away from everyday life at Monticello. Mr. Nichols explained to the group about the restoration efforts past, present and future for the site. A slide show and lively discussion kept everyone’s attention.

 

IMG_2071

Jeffrey Nichols

The Hospitality Committee lead by Louise Thompson prepared a wonderful selection of snacks for all to sample after the discussion.

IMG_2077

Thank you to Jeffrey Nichols for visiting with us and to all of the society members who helped bring this meeting to our members.

 

Drunken Swine

12 Mar

The following is an article that ran on March 31, 1922 in The Bee (Danville, Virginia). It gives a totally new meaning to March madness.

Pig And Hogs In Goochland Drunk On 9,000 Gallons.

Richmond, March 31, – Pouring of 9,000 gallons of mash into a spring branch in Goochland county, near Irwin Station, yesterday afternoon by federal prohibition agents provided a feasta [sic] for more than a score of hogs and pigs. But after partaking of the mash, which had practically completed fermentation, the hogs displayed all the symptoms of drunkenness and were unable to walk. They crawled off into the woods and lay on the ground groaning, federal agents said, in much the same manner as a man under the influence of liquor.

In the raid the officers destroyed a 500-gallon capacity wooden kettle, confiscated a four-horsepower steam engine, 30 fermenters, 1,500 pounds of sugar, one horse, one mule, a new two-horse wagon and other equipment.

The plant was not in actual operation at the time of the raid and no arrests were made. It was located on an excellent site adjacent to a spring branch and was one of the few captured in Virginia that used steam engines for distilling the mash.